Comment on page
Wayne Huang, PhD
Co-Founder and Board Member
Wayne is an internationally-recognized cybersecurity expert instrumental in developing innovative blockchain-based solutions currently used in several emerging markets. Before XREX, Wayne served as VP Engineering to Proofpoint (NASDAQ: PFPT), where he spent five years building and growing TAP (Targeted Attack Protection) from 0 to $400M+ in ARR (annual recurring revenue), servicing 9 of the top 10 US banks, and 56 of Fortune 100. Prior to Proofpoint, Wayne was Co-Founder and CEO of Armorize Technologies, which was acquired by Proofpoint in 2013. A diligent blogger about cyber threats, Wayne’s cybersecurity research has received worldwide media coverage, including reports in Reuters, Forbes, IDG, USA Today, Wired, Dark Reading, The Register, The Hacker News, SC Magazine, eWeek, Threat Post, CSO, and Krebs on Security.
Wayne first-authored 5 well-cited, peer-reviewed papers published by ACM and IEEE, and 3 US-issued patents. Wayne received a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science Group from National Taiwan University, and a BS and an MS in Computer Science from National Chiao Tung University. In his spare time, Wayne enjoys mountaineering, trekking, and studying history and economics.
- Unitas Foundation Aug 2022 - present Co-Founder & Board Member
- XREXAug 2018 - present | TaipeiCo-Founder & CEO XREX is a blockchain-enabled financial institution working with banks, regulators, and users to redefine banking together. We provide enterprise-grade banking services to small to medium-sized businesses (SMBs) in or dealing with emerging markets, and novice-friendly financial services to individuals worldwide.Founded in 2018 and operating globally under multiple licenses, XREX offers a full suite of services such as digital asset custody, wallet, cross-border payment, fiat-crypto conversion, cryptocurrency exchange, asset management, and fiat currency on-off ramps.XREX is backed by public companies, banks, and prominent VCs, including:
- Taiwan National Development Fund
- SBI Investment (TYO:8473)
- CDIB Capital Group (TWSE:2883)
- E.Sun Financial Holding (TWSE:2884)
- ThreeD Capital (CSE:IDK)
- Systex (TWSE:6214)
- Global Founders Capital
- Metaplanet Holdings
- Seraph Group
- WI Harper Group
- Black Marble Capital Management
- New Economy Ventures
- Toivo Annus
- Proofpoint (NASDAQ: PFPT) Aug 2013 - Jun 2018 | Sunnyvale CAVP EngineeringProofpoint is a leading cybersecurity company that provides the most effective cybersecurity and compliance solutions to protect people on every channel, including email, the web, the cloud, social media, and mobile messaging.
- Armorize TechnologiesJan 2006 - Aug 2013 | San Francisco & TaipeiCo-Founder & CEO / CTOArmorize Technologies (acquired by Proofpoint (NASDAQ: PFPT)) is a leading cybersecurity company offering Web application security and malware detection solutions. Armorize specializes in the detection and prevention of advanced, targeted threats.
- Institute of Information Science, Academia Sinica1999 - 2005 | TaipeiResearch EngineerAs a part of a 4-year mandatory military service term.Researched and developed defense technologies against advanced persistent threats (APTs) against Taiwan's government, military, and intelligence infrastructure.First-authored multiple peer-reviewed papers that each has 750+ citations according to Google Scholar. Acquired 2 US patents.
- National Taiwan University NTU 2004 - 2012 Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, Computer Science Group First-authored multiple peer-reviewed cybersecurity papers that each have 750+ citations according to Google Scholar.
- National Chiao-Tung University NCTU 1997 - 1999 Master, Computer Science
- National Chiao-Tung University NCTU 1993 - 1997 Bachelor, Computer Science
Wayne frequently speaks at cybersecurity and blockchain conferences, including Chain-in 2018, BLOCKConscious Summit 2018, SecTor 2018, Blockchain Technology Conference 2018, Swiss Cyber Storm 2018, BlackHat US 2010, BlackHat APAC 2017, DEFCON 2010, RSA USA 2007, 2010, 2015, 2016, RSA APAC 2015, Hack in Paris 2017, Troopers 2016, AusCERT 2016, Virus Bulletin 2016, SteelCon 2016, Hack.lu 2016, HackFest 2016, SyScan Taiwan 2008, 2009, OWASP Asia 2007, 2008, Hacks in Taiwan 2006, 2007, WWW 2003, 2004, and PHP 2007.
First-authored, peer-reviewed academic papers
- "Web application security assessment by fault injection and behavior monitoring." Yao-Wen (Wayne) Huang, Shih-Kun Huang, Tsung-Po Lin, Chung-Hung Tsai. In Proceedings of the 2003 ACM International Conference on the World Wide Web, 2003, . pp. 148-159.
- "Securing web application code by static analysis and runtime protection." Yao-Wen (Wayne) Huang, Fang Yu, Christian Hang, Chung-Hung Tsai, Der-Tsai (D.T.) Lee, Sy-Yen Kuo. In Proceedings of the 2004 ACM International Conference on the World Wide Web, 2004, . pp. 40-52.
- "Verifying Web Applications Using Bounded Model Checking." Yao-Wen (Wayne) Huang, Fang Yu, Christian Hang, Chung-Hung Tsai, Der-Tsai (D.T.) Lee, Sy-Yen Kuo. In Proceedings of the IEEE 2004 International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (IEEE DSN 2004), pages 199-208, Florence, Italy, Jun 28-Jul 1, 2004.
- "Non-detrimental Web application security scanning." Yao-Wen (Wayne) Huang, Chung-Hung Tsai, Der-Tsai (D.T.) Lee, Sy-Yen Kuo. In 15th IEEE International Symposium on Software Reliability Engineering (ISSRE 2004), Saint-Malo, France, Nov 2-5, 2004.
- "A testing framework for Web application security assessment." Yao-Wen Huang, Chung-Hung Tsai, Tsung-Po Lin, Shih-Kun Huang, D.T. Lee, Sy-Yen Kuo. Journal of Computer Networks 48(5), pp. 739-761, Feb 12, 2005.
First-authored, US-issued patents
- "System and method for securing web application code and verifying correctness of software." Yao-Wen Huang, Fang Yu, Chung-Hung Tsai, Christian Hang, Der-Tsai Lee, Sy-Yen Kuo US Patent 8555269, Issued Oct 3, 2013
- "System and method for securing web application code and verifying correctness of software." Yao-Wen Huang, Fang Yu, Chung-Hung Tsai, Christian Hang, Der-Tsai Lee, Sy-Yen Kuo US Patent 7779399, Issued Aug 17, 2010
(follow the links to watch talk videos)
- RSA Conference 2016, San Francisco Witness the Russian Attack: Live Demos of Their Steps, Tools, Techniques (with Sun Huang)
- RSA APAC & Japan Conference 2015, Singapore New Ways of Emerging APT Actors: India, South Africa, Nigeria, and Indonesia (with Sun Huang)